Each summer, OGMP selects a cohort of newly enrolled underrepresented PhD students to participate in the Board of Education (BOE) summer fellowship program. This six-week summer program is designed as an orientation to graduate education and promotes acclimation to the University of Florida.
The Board of Education (BOE) Summer Fellowship Program welcomes incoming PhD students to graduate education by providing the following:
• $3500 stipend to help with the transition to Gainesville
• Four credit hours of paid coursework in their respective departments
• $100 Gator Dining card for peer mentoring meetings
• Solid support system in the Office of Graduate Minority Programs
Transitional housing may be available for up to two weeks to students while in the process of securing permanent housing. This is offered on a first come first serve basis.
BOE Student Requirements
To participate in the BOE program, incoming PhD students are required to:
• Complete non-academic courses on the subjects of Statistics, Research Methods, and Writing.
• Attend weekly Professional Development Workshops every Friday for the duration of the program (Summer B).
• Register and complete 4 credit hours of coursework in their respective department during Summer B.
• Attend all BOE related events.
BOE Summer Fellowship Program is open to US citizens or permanent residents who are newly accepted into a UF doctoral program and meet at least one of the following requirements:
• Ethnic or cultural minority
• Low-income status
• First generation college graduate
• Underrepresented in their field of study
The BOE Summer Fellowship Program is scheduled for June 24, 2015 – August 7, 2015.
The deadline to apply to the Board of Education (BOE) Summer Fellowship is May 1, 2015.
Click here to apply to the BOE Summer Fellowship:
Click here to apply to become a BOE Peer Advisor:
If you have any questions about the BOE Fellowship, please contact:
Dr. Tyisha Hathorn
Associate Director, The Office of Graduate Minority Programs
Grinter Hall 115
PO Box 115500
Gainesville, FL 32601