A petition is a request for an exception to a current graduate education policy, usually due to an unusual situation beyond the control of student, staff or faculty. To submit a petition, please follow these steps:
- Petitions must be initiated by the graduate coordinator, graduate program director, department chair, or supervisory committee chair in the student's academic unit, using this form: Petition to the Graduate School(PDF Form).
- Petitions must be approved and signed by the student's academic unit and college.
- Completed petitions (including any supporting documentation) must then be submitted as a single PDF document online, via this petition submission webform: Graduate School Petition Upload Form.
- Students cannot submit petitions. Any petition must come to the Graduate School directly from departmental staff or faculty.
- Use of Adobe Digital Signatures is permitted and encouraged.
- Graduate School staff review petitions in the order that they are received. Response time varies, depending on the complexity of the student's situation and/or the policy exception being requested.
- Decisions are communicated to the petition's originator and college representative. The academic unit is responsible for notifying the student (and any other UF unit, if appropriate).